Monday, May 29, 2006

8th Tournament...Lord of the Court, May Edition, 28th May 2006






Tourney : Lord of The Court, May Edition
Venue: NPNG
Date : 28th May 2006

List of Players : Badar, Bob, Embi, Kimi, Mantek, Pakcik and Yot.

Disappointingly, only 6 teams registered, including our regular adversaries, MIC Subang and ACR (who sent only 1 team this time). The other teams are 2 from the Rubelli ( I tink dats how its spelled) factory nearby and NPNG Jr, kids from the academy. As such, the league format was used, instead of group games followed by knockout stages.
All of the Rubelli players were Vietnamese, except 1 local Malay, if I’m not mistaken. And they had a lot of support, mostly Vietnamese girls I tink. And what an atmosphere it was. Macam main dlm stadium.

Our first game was against MIC Subang, the team who thrashed us twice in the Liga Premier NPNG. I was fired up for the game, but was a bit worried about Mantek, who has never played competitive futsal before and never played on parquet. It wasn’t a big surprise when MIC opened the scoring early because Mantek was slow to clear the ball. I did tell him to “buang” the ball, but he just came nearer to me and lost the ball and just like that, 1-0 to MIC. The second goal was the type Tok Jinjang normally concedes, when someone passes across the pitch to someone unmarked at the far post.
But this was not the same Tok Jinjang who they faced in the league, We were more determined and had a clearer strategy. Pakcik or Yot (or both) was always attacking their last man and I felt it unsettled them. We scored 2 goals to equalize, thru Badar and Yot and thanks to my goalkeeping (ahem), we felt an upset was possible. But they scored 2 more goals and we lost 2-4. No shame in that.
Yot commented that I played well and it was obvious I was confident. Very different from the “panicky” Embi. I did make some great saves (ahem), but like Bob puts it, I always do that, just that I also let in silly goals. Mantek also said later that I had “byk save gile-gile”…hehe.. The MIC coach also said we were unlucky to lose.

In the second game, we faced ACR, and history repeated itself. In the league, one of our best performance was against ACR 1, where we led for most of the match, even by 2 goals, but still lost 6-7. (That game will always be remembered for the winner scored by ACR 1’s goalie.) In this game, we led 2-0 and 3-1 but still lost 3-4. I can only remember making 1 save in this game. Their first 3 goals were the type we typically concede (refer to the 1st game) but the winner was avoidable. I should have attacked that guy instead of waiting for him to make a move. I was worried he would pass the ball behind me and I didn’t know I had backup. Someone should have shouted for me to go in, but no one did. And the guy beat me at my near post. Pakcik later said he was too tired to shout. The MIC coach also said we should have won, or at least draw. Our goals were scored by Mantek (2) and Yot. Kimi got a yellow card for tackling, altho it looked clean.

Our third game was against Rubelli 1. Early in the game, we could have gone behind. I went out on the right side of the pitch but somehow the ball still found its way thru to the middle with me stranded. I rushed back as the guy trapped the ball and shot at the empty net..a slow shot..that went wide….wakakakaka…the noise from their many supporters that followed the miss was DEAFENING!!! Another incident worth mentioning was Badar almost losing his cool. He had made a great run from deep inside our half and was about to shoot when someone tackled him from behind. He got up to confront the guy, but luckily, nothing happened. It has to be said, they played rough. I was also a victim. I went out to clear a through ball but the guy chasing after it charged at me instead. This happened twice I tink. Anyway, we won 1-0 (hey, clean sheet!), with Kimi netting the only goal. I don’t think there was any animosity after the game. I was even hugging the guy who charged at me. And one of them did come to us and chat after the game. This is Tok Jinjang, the friendliest team….heheh.

Up next, Rubelli 2. The result, 5-0. Goals by Mantek (2), Bob, Yot and Badar. Badar was Man of The Match for this one. Excellent at the back, giving me nothing much to do and scoring 1 as well. Must be something about these Vietnamese that bugs him. However, the thing about this game that I will remember are the attempts by their female supporters (Vietnamese girls) to distract us. A few of them were behind my goal and said things like “Abang…bagi lepas laa gol abang…”Heheh. During a break in play, I turned around and ask “Dapat apa?” and 1 girl said “Nanti saya belanja minum laa bang…” Hehehehe. Thanks to Badar, I never had the chance, another clean sheet.….hahaha. A few of them were also teasing Yot, arguably the most macho Tok Jinjang player. Heheh..There was this 1 girl who laughed like a lunatic when Rubelli players fouled us and when any of us fell, esp. because of those fouls. Funny…

Our last game was against NPNG Jr. Woooo..Paling tua lwn paling muda. The winner of this game would get 3rd place. However, we played badly and we lost 1-5. The turning point was the first goal, when everyone went up and we lost the ball. I was slow to go out (my argument was because it was 2 against 1, altho I understand I still should have rushed out) and they scored. Yot shouted at me for it…heheh…dah lali dah, but he was rite. I still should have rushed out. Pakcik scored our consolation goal. I’m sure he was more relieved than happy, because up to then, he was the only outfield player yet to score.
Unlike our earlier 2 defeats, we deserved to lose this one. Again, when playing against kids, we don’t go all out., at least not all of us. I am definitely one of them. I hate playing against kids. Not just because they run faster and further, but because being the “friendliest team around”, we give them too much space and time. Heck, after the game, I went up to see the keeper who was down on the pitch and asked him wat happened. “senak bang”. I’m too nice laaa…need to change dat mindset.
Altho I conceded 5 goals, I made many good saves. I was glad Mantek mentioned dat after the game. Someone did notice…hmmm..that’s the life of a keeper.

Summary:
We were unlucky to finish 4th, just out of the medals. It was bad luck we had to meet MIC in the first game. In the later games, they played more casually. Our first 2 games were against the best 2 teams, and we could have got something from both of them.
I also felt we were the victim of the scheduling. With 6 teams in a league, they must be at least 1 team who has the least rest. I felt that was us after the 1st and 2nd games.
We can take some positives. Despite his bad start, Mantek finished as topscorer. Not bad for his first tournament. The passing between Mantek, Kimi and Pakcik too was good. We have also shown that we can give MIC Subang and ACR a run for their money. Overall, there has been improvement. There will be other LOTC tourneys. One day, we will win an edition, or at least win any of the lesser medals.

Mantek : 4 goals Yot : 3 goals Badar : 2 goals Bob, Kimi, Pakcik : 1 goal
Embi : 2 clean sheets