Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Goalkeeping Nightmares




“Believe me, there’s no loneliness to match that of a goalkeeper who has just made a howler. Been there, done that.”

It’s true, it’s damn true…a quotable quote from arguably my favourite goalie, former Arsenal and England goalkeeper, Mr. David Seaman. Was browsing at the vcd section at Tesco the other day, and this vcd caught my eye..it was Seaman on the cover, trying to look funny (he’s not really). “DAVID SEAMAN presents GOALKEEPING NIGHTMARES”. Supposed to be RM9.90, but I bought it for only RM8.90. hmm… not many ppl would want it I guess… I bought it because 1, the above reason (Seaman former Gunner) and 2, I’m a goalie too (albeit amateur futsal goalie).

Neways, it was somewhat entertaining. Nice to see Seaman willing to talk about his gaffes. Nayim’s last-minute extra time goal in the now defunct UEFA Cup Winners Cup 1995 final and THAT Ronaldinho goal in WC2002 was included, rightly so…heheh…I remember watching that match against Real Zaragoza live in the early morning so many years back…Seaman had short hair then…

Had there been cameras recording some of my performances and the producers know about it, I’m sure I would make the grade for this vcd..heheheh…

As a goalie (amateur futsal, I know), it was heartwarming to see even the best keepers make mistakes. Seaman, Schmeichel, Beasant, Given, Dudek, de Goey, Bosnich to name a few…if these ppl can make mistakes, why shouldn’t I rite? However, I can’t help but worry dat watching those gaffes wud turn out to be a double-edged sword. Wat if I can’t block those images from my mind while playing competitive futsal? balls going thru the legs, bouncing over my body, going under it..miscontrol…wow…and the next few weeks will see Tok Jinjang in a hectic schedule….waduh…touch wood…

Seaman also had some advice…”if u do make mistakes, always blame ur defenders”..hehe..but seriously he had some gud advice, but I can’t remember his exact words…samting like just dust urself off and concentrate on making the next save…

The VCD also had a segment on some great saves (not just by Seaman of coz), including the amazing one-handed save with his body arched backwards that Seaman made against Sheffield Utd in the FA cup semis in his last season at Arsenal. “Not bad for a 39-year-old”. There were not dat many saves shown, but the vcd was about keeping nitemares rite? Just enuff were shown to “set the record straight”.

Another segment was on keepers scoring…you can bet that Chilavert was there..in fact, the most clips were on him.

I’ve seen some of the clips on the VCD, it was nice to be reminded of them or had the clip explained, since I had a few of them but didn’t know who was that, when was that, where was that… Seaman also (jokingly) said keepers are mad and put in the clip of Higuita’s scorpion save to prove it!

Thanks for the memories, Dave!!

No comments:

Post a Comment